Friday, September 20, 2013

"We have three frigates, but one of 'ems Vic"


Despite the title, it was a great night! That phrase was, of course, followed by "no offense" and "none taken" back from me, it was just part of assessing our capabilities for handling an interesting development.

Four Aideron pilot had joined with some QCATS to scoot around Heydelies and Fliet looking for GoodFights. We found some likely targets in a novice plex (only frigates can enter) but many of our fleet were cruisers, so we sat on the entrance gate and waited for them to come out.  They didn't come out, but more of their allies arrived and entered the plex before we could stop them. And more of OUR allies arrived and sat on the gate. I'd never seen a situation like this, with ships piling up on either side, but no fight starting. Smack was talked in Local, trying to goad them into coming out, but they didn't take the bait.  The question about sending our frigates in to attack was raised but with only 3 frigates and one being very green, that wasn't an option.

After five minutes or so the whole thing just defused. A new small plex opened so we all went into that. A fight started on the entrance gate and we all bounced out and returned to the gate to join in. And that's where I got on my first PROPER kill!

First Proper Kill!

[KILL MAIL] I'm very happy with how this played out, because I actually Made A Decision; this wasn't a point-n-click kill. A Caracal arrived just after I did, landing at 70km for us. Three of us burn towards it and it begins to move away. I hear the other two say its getting away, though I notice I'm catching up to it, albeit slowly. They give up the chase and my first thought is to keep going and chase the guy. I quickly have a second thought: "If you catch him, he'll kill you." and I figure that he's trying to split us up.

I also turn around and head back to the acceleration gate.  Luckily for me the Caracal turns and flies into our gang. I give the command to orbit him, turn on damage control (I remember this time!) and begin to close on him. He's already engaged by two of our pilots, at about half shield when I get into scram range. He's already pointed but I scram him anyway and when I get close enough I activate the guns. It takes about 45 seconds to bring him down and 2 other pilots join in too....I'm not sure why the Caracal decided to engage us; he was clearly outnumbered.

Luckily for me he didn't target me at all, though he did a lot of damage to a couple of our pilots. My shield was barely scraped; sometimes its nice to be not important enough to kill!

Other Activities

I've bought 4 Ventures and cloaks to give my cloaky salvage idea a try, but I got turned on to a different plan by a corpmate.  It's safer, easier and faster to make ISK by hunting pirates in the asteroid belts and collecting security status tags. Watch this Johnny Pew video that shows what to do. I hope I can fly a fit that can take them on. [Later update: this is on hold: clone soldiers pirates are badasses! Instead I'm using my cloaked venture to run Faction Warfare plexes, hiding when anyone enters the plex, and uncloaking when they leave.]

4 comments:

  1. Caracals fit like that (except his fit has a big EM resist hole) will murder frigates, those rapid light missile launchers are basically anti-frigate launchers meant for cruisers.

    Had you not turned back but engaged him alone he would probably have killed you in short order and then your buddies in the condor and algos as they would warp in to assist you.

    Of course those antifrigate launchers do less dmage as heavy (assault) missile launchers vs cruisers so he didn't stand a chance vs your gang. His only chance was to take out someone before he went down himself.

    Seeing that 3 of you are newer characters perhaps he thought he would be capable of kiting and killing you before being overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it had taken me over 150km to catch the Caracal, they could have warped to me (is 150 still the minimum warp distance?) but I don't think I was important enough to try and save. The gang's job was to guard the gate and maybe go in the small plex after a while. Chasing the suicidal Atron would have been a bad idea :)

    When he ran back into our gang he didn't seem to make much effort to keep distance. It was fun to not only survive a fight but to also have my tactical moves (such as they were) actually succeed.

    Thanks for the comment, see you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to be at least 150 km from the object you want to warp to when initiating warp. Uou can't warp to an object that is 149 km distant.

    But if I am at 155 from a gate and halfway between me and the gate there is a hostile I can I can warp to the gate at 70 and land close to my target. In effect I will only warp 85 km.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know the "warp at X" always chose a point closer to you by "X" than the destination. I thought it was a randomly choice point on a circle with X km radius from your destination. Good to know this though, thanks, and I confirmed it at https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Advanced_piloting_techniques

    ReplyDelete