Friday, August 8, 2014

Track your ship building inventory with custom filters

I came up with this a few days ago and it's too useful not to share. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, but I haven't seen anyone else describe it, so here goes.

I mostly assemble my own ships, and was finding it difficult to notice when I was running low on modules for each of the different fits we use. I'd type in each module name one at a time in the inventory window...that's the hard way.

Here's the easy way!
Create a custom inventory filter like this
See only the modules for that fitting in your inventory

Use the "name" match and make a rule for each module. Make sure you change the default "Match All" to "Match Any" at the bottom of the window.
To account for possible missing modules, include the number of modules you need in the filter name (in my example my ship needs 14 different things). When you use the filter, you'll see the number of matching modules in the lower right of the inventory window. If its too low, you might have zero stock of something. If its too high, you probably have more than one stack of something.
I've found this makes it very easy to see when you're running low on something (in my case, only 22 Hobgoblin IIs left) and you make arrangements to get more before it becomes critical. In my case, arrangements means either making more of the item myself, or setting up a buy order at Jita to get more of that item as cheaply as possible. By making those arrangements before you run out, there's no pressure to immediately buy stock at-whatever-price, so this method will save money as well as time.

I started a thread on Reddit; let's see what happens....it went to #1! For a little while, anyway, and sat at #2 and #3 for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment