Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

It only took the lightest of possible touches from the Dark Side of the game to steer me away from trading with Jita.  I decided to fly there from Arnon (15 jumps) to pick up a couple of the ships that a kindly benefactor had given me, and why fly with an empty ship when you can make some profit. A search of eve-central's trade finder between Essence and The Forge revealed that someone was selling a LOT of pyerite near me that I could easily sell for a couple of million in profit.  Let's do it!

I was aware that freighter ganking existed; that's the process of shooting a ship that carries valuable cargo. If its done quickly, the victim's goodies will be liberated and stolen before the police ships are able to kill the attackers.  I bought some shields as specified in the Eve University hauler fit and set out for Jita with about 16M ISK of minerals aboard.

I was target-locked twice going there, and three times coming back! It's more nerve-wracking than I thought it would be, knowing that my cargo's survival depends on someone deciding if its worth attacking me or not. Nobody attacked, thank goodness, because I have no idea how well the shields would have held up...probably not well enough to survive the attack.  For such a small profit, a 15 jump trip isn't worth it.  I can make that kind of money running local missions and finding lost tech 2 drones at no risk, though I *will* try hauling expensive stuff later, once I've trained cloaking and can do more to defend myself than just "hope they don't attack me!"

PS Thanks to a reader for pointing out that I *can* cancel orders. The command was in a rather obvious place; I'm not sure how I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment